|History of Swaminatha swamy Temple|
|Historical : |
Thiruveragam (Swamimalai) is one of the six abodes (Fourth Padaiveedu) of Lord Muruga. Veragam is mentioned in the ancient Tamil literature Silappathikaram and Thirumurugattruppadai (13 lines). The lord is praised in Kandapuranam, Thiruppugazh and other literature.Mythological:
The Lord is in the form of Wisdom (Jnana) and those worship him will be enlightened (get education and wisdom) by his grace. Being the embodiment of Pranavamantra, the meaning of Omkara (Pranava) was revealed by Lord Muruga to Lord Sive (Iswara) as per his request and hence the Moolavar (presiding Deity – Murti) is name Swaminathaswami (Acharya of his own father). The Sthalapuranam is available in the temple office for more details.
Temple (Holy Tree), (Sthalavrutsha) : - Nelli tree (Physemblica, Linn Euphorbiaceae)
Scared Tank (Theertham) :- There are four Holy Theerthams
- Vajra Theertham
- Kumara Theertham
- Saravana Theertham
- Netra Theertham
The temple is built on an artificial hillock of 60ft high. There are 60 steps to reach atop and they are named after the Tamil years. Rajagopuram (5 tiers) is facing south. The pillars in the Mahamantapa are known for their artistic beauty. The Kodungai ( the curved cornice or projection) and the Yali (The lion shaped) are beautifully carved. According to Puranic sources, Kartha veeriarjuna, a demon having 1000 hands and the ruler of Kekaya country renovated this temple.